Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang


1968, UK, directed by Ken Hughes

We watched this over the holidays as an evening distraction -- after amusing the boys during long days of inclement weather, chunks of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang generally proved a good distraction for Shay at least, but I can't imagine watching this in a single sitting with young children. Not only would it be hard to explain how parts of the film tie together -- even I was unclear on the need for the presumably very expensive credits sequence -- but it is long, and while some of the musical scenes work rather well, particularly in the sweet factory, others fall very flat indeed. The Bond fan in me couldn't help slaver over Ken Adam's sets, too -- who cares about Neuschwanstein when you can create your own vast soundstage worlds?

No comments:

Index

List of all movies

Most of the images here are either studio publicity stills or screen captures I've made myself; if I've taken your image without giving you credit, please let me know.

About Me

Boston, Massachusetts, United States