Wednesday, July 29, 2015

What We Do in the Shadows


2014, New Zealand, directed by Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi

Like many a mockumentary subject -- in this case chronicling the endless lives of a group of vampire housemates in New Zealand -- this is a little thin at feature length, although paradoxically I thought it improved a good deal after the scattered opening twenty minutes with the addition of a new character that injected an element of plot: Cori Gonzalez-Macuer, who's apparently best-known as a standup comic, is quite brilliantly deadpan, and there are some very amusing set-pieces, especially a gala gathering at a desultory local hall (there are also several surprisingly gory scenes -- surprising especially for my neighbours when I watched this on the seatback screen of a plane). 

No comments:

Index

List of all movies

Most of the images here are either studio publicity stills or screen captures I've made myself; if I've taken your image without giving you credit, please let me know.

About Me

Boston, Massachusetts, United States